Sean Conley is an ex-NFL and University of Pittsburgh kicker. He joined the Detroit Lions as an undrafted rookie free agent in 1993 and spent some time with the Indianapolis Colts and New York Jets.
This week Sean Conley rides shotgun in the DeLorean to share some stories both, on and off, the field as an ex-NFL kicker. We get into many topics including:
- When and how he realized he wanted to “grow up and be an NFL kicker”
- His childhood diagnosis of ADHD and how it impacted his career (both positively and negatively)
- How he was a walk-on at the University of Pittsburgh as someone that never kicked in High School
- Why he chose the Detroit Lions as an undrafted free agent even though they already had All-Pro Kicker Jason Hanson on the roster
- His multiple interactions with my favorite athlete of all time, Barry Sanders
- The brief words Dan Marino gave to him that pretty much summed up the “simplicity” of being a kicker
- How Coach Amos Jones impacted his career and life
- What he thinks about Justin Tucker and Adam Vinatieri in the annals of NFL Kicking Lore
- How much a great holder and long snapper can really mean to the process of kicking
- His podcast, Happy Athlete
- His book – THE POINT AFTER: HOW ONE RESILIENT KICKER LEARNED THERE WAS MORE TO LIFE THAN THE NFL
- Much more….
Sean's Podcast: Happy Athlete
Sean Conley Bio
A native of Erie, Pennsylvania, Sean Conley fell in love with kicking at age eight. After playing college football at the University of Pittsburgh, he began a dramatic, abbreviated NFL career, playing for the Detroit Lions, Indianapolis Colts, New York Jets, and finally for the Scottish Claymores in Europe.
That journey came with a price. As a result of overtraining, Sean suffered career-ending injuries. As part of his rehabilitation and regrouping, Sean became a dedicated yoga practitioner at the suggestion of his wife, Karen, a yoga instructor. He eventually embraced the mindfulness, meditation, and philosophy of yoga as a new life direction, and became a yoga teacher himself. He and his wife now own Amazing Yoga in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Sean is the author of the Amazon Best Seller Amazing Yoga (Autumn House Press, 2010)and lives in Pittsburgh with Karen and their four children.
He’s the author of The Point After: How One Resilient Kicker Learned there was More to Life than the NFL. Sean has written for numerous publications including Yoga Journal and has been featured on dozens of podcasts. He recently gave a Ted Talk about pursuing dreams, resilience, reinvention, and gratitude.
Sean has been teaching for over 20 years. He leads yoga trainings and retreats all over the world. He has shared his love of yoga with lawyers, Hollywood actors, doctors, and people from all walks of life. He has worked with professional sports teams including the Pittsburgh Steelers, Penguins, and The University of Pittsburgh football and basketball teams.
Sean is also a Tree Ambassador for Community Carbon Trees which is protecting and preserving the rainforests in Central America.
GET IN TOUCH WITH SEAN
Please note – As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Making of Women’s American Football: Breaking Barriers On and Off the Field
This week Russ Crawford, Professor of History at Ohio Northern...Read More
The Quarterback Project: Do You Agree With Michael Mertes and His Top QB’s?
This week I spoke with Michael Mertes about a project...Read More
Spies on the Sidelines: How Much of an Impact Does Spying Have in the NFL?
While the phrase “three-letter agency” is a euphemism for American...Read More
Sean Conley Shares Why There’s More To Life Than The NFL
Sean Conley is an ex-NFL and University of Pittsburgh kicker. ...Read More